YARR’s activities are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the community. Right now we have 5 major areas of action:
1. HOTLINE – We have a secure phone number, 831-239-4289, that you can call when you see ICE or other repressive forces in our county. We will dispatch trained community members to the site to document what’s happening and to support the people targeted.
2. COMMUNITY EDUCATION – We provide training or workshops on many skills and topics: Legal Observation, Bystander Intervention, Advocacy for Immigrant Families, Introduction to Nonviolent Direct Action, Community Organizing Tools, Anti-Oppression Practices, US-Latin American Relations … and more!
3. SERVICES – We can provide an advocate to connect people with material resources (e.g. clothing, food, rides) and needed services including lawyers, therapists, emergency child care. We can accompany people to ICE interviews, and mobilize political pressure to fight individual deportations. If you need help, call our hotline, 831-239-4289, or email us.
4. RELATIONSHIP BUILDING – YARR has worked in solidarity with UCSC faculty and students, Santa Cruz May Day, the Muslim Solidarity Group, NAACP King Day March, and Sanctuary Santa Cruz. We are always ready to expand our relationships. If your group or community would like to connect with YARR, please email us.
5. PUBLIC POLICY – We supported the passage of the Santa Cruz Sanctuary ordinance and exposed the violent reality of SCPD cooperation with ICE. We successfully worked with others to pressure the sheriff to stop sharing release dates with ICE and are now working to ensure he keeps his promise to comply with SB54 and cease his cooperation with ICE.